My Meaning of the Nacerima
- Dedication
- I use this word as both how people on the outside feel towards wanting to get to know the Nacerima, and also how the Nacerima feel about their own culture and their own beliefs. In the article, I see how the writer puts so much detail in trying to explain the culture to others as if it was being told by the Nacerima people themselves. I also love how the Nacerima people are so dedicated to their culture and so true. In the text, it states many times that learning more about others culture and how dedicated they are no matter what others think make them who they are.
- Unique
- In my personal opinion, I found the Nacerima people themselves and their culture and the different rituals that they practice very unique from other societies and cultures. In the text, there is one particular ritual that stood out to me that was called the mouth-rite that I have never seen nor heard of before. Both the reason for this ritual and the way that the ritual is practiced stands out. The way that their rituals are done in secrecy and privacy and how they rely heavily on the earth for their healing is something that you do not see very often in different cultures. In the text, I find that it relates to the different practices of anthropology and how each one is different in both the practices, results and meanings.
- Neglect
- This word may have a big meaning in reasons that when it came to the outside world, there was a sense of neglect in the outside worlds understanding of the Nacerima people and their culture. In the article at the beginning, it states that this culture is poorly understood and that not is known much of their origin. In the text, throughout the chapters, there is a sense of major neglect in some countries and cultures that have been neglected in the past that are now starting to open up more and others wanting to learn more now about other cultures.
- Trust
- I believe that trust is a major topic when it comes to understanding different cultures. It also plays a very important role if people outside the culture want to learn more about the culture from the people themselves. In the both the article and the text, it states that in order to learn more about the culture, earning the respect and trust of the people makes it more easier and comfortable for others to open up and be able to answer questions better to help others understand their culture.
- Understanding
- The last word is major just in fact that in the text, understanding more cultures and also helping to learn how to understand other cultures is a major base of what cultural anthropology is all about. At the end of the article, it shows that the writer has gotten a better understanding of the Nacerima culture and are able to sum up their beliefs and what most of their culture is based on if they had to describe it or sum it up. Understanding others cultures and broadening the understanding makes everything more diverse in a sense where there can be more trust and respect among different cultures and and also sharing of any similar beliefs among them.
- As an American which it shames me to say, some of the words that I used are also used to describe other people and also new groups of people that Americans are beginning to or have already recognized. Most of the words are words that we use as Americans to describe ourselves that we believe makes us different from other countries around the world, but other words like neglect make us different also, but can be seen as a weakness in the eyes of others.
- I believe the only biased word that I have is Neglect, because as an outsider from the Nacerima people, it was my point of view that they seemed neglected rather than focused on as much as any other well known group. I believe that a better word to use would be Misunderstood, which would convey a better.
- I do not believe that the other words that I used were biased. I believe that they were used as a understanding of their culture and were not because of my cultures personal bias but because of true belief based on what was learned in the article and because of known facts.
- When it comes to describing other cultures, I believe that it is very important to avoid ethnocentric judgments just for the fact of respect. When learning another culture or wanting to be a part of another culture, there is bound to be some type of ethnocentric judgment merely as a first opinion, but having them avoided shows to others that their culture is important and that it does matter and the openness is there of wanting to show what a certain culture is all about and to describe another culture free from personal bias as possible opens up the doors. I believe that when it comes to personal bias, I believe at the beginning, there might be a slight chance but once a new culture is discovered, I think that then it kind of disappears and turns into more of a understanding rather than a judgment.
Part A reviewed and scored. I will leave a longer comment on Friday after your Part B submission.
ReplyDeleteReading through your explanations for you choice of word, many explanations don't seem to apply to the Nacerima themselves, but often to those outside of the Nacerima, including Minor himself? The words were meant to describe the culture Minor is describing, not those describing the culture or looking in from the outside.
ReplyDeleteThis is further complicated by the fact that most of the words you have chosen are not descriptions (i.e., adjectives), but are nouns. Anthropologists tend to not get into too much trouble when they are just naming or identifying cultural practices. They do get into trouble when they try to describe them. That was the goal of this assignment, and without adjectives, it makes it difficult to critique this. Can we convert your choices to adjectives, like "dedicated", "neglectful", and "trusting"? "Unique" is a descriptor, but aren't all cultures characterized by unique practices?
I agree that "neglectful" can be biased, but again, it would have to be used to describe the culture itself, and it's not clear that is what you are doing here. I suggest you read through other student posts to get an idea of words that can describe this culture, keeping an eye out for those that are adjectives (not nouns) and looking for indications of bias and judgmental attitudes toward the Nacerima.
"I believe that they were used as a understanding of their culture and were not because of my cultures personal bias but because of true belief based on what was learned in the article and because of known facts."
Ah, but Minor deliberately wrote this article to include a biased and judgmental telling of this culture's health and beauty practices. So if your choice of words is based upon Minor's biased information, should we be surprised that our descriptions are also biased?
" I believe that it is very important to avoid ethnocentric judgments just for the fact of respect."
I don't disagree, but this is a class in cultural anthropology. The importance of avoiding bias and judgment goes beyond the issue of respect. As cultural anthropologists, we would be communicating information about another culture to the scientific community. We want to make sure that our information is as factually-based as possible. We don't want to pollute that information with our own biases and beliefs, which would give misleading information about that culture.
Thank you for your comments, I do notice what you say about the words being more nouns and not adjectives and will take that into account.
DeleteHi serena!! I really liked your post and I do not see a lot of bias. I noticed that you used a lot of nouns and that is what I did as well. I think it was a little hard to pick out certain words to describe this culture. Your post was great I am looking to reading forward more in the future.
ReplyDeleteI think the words that you choose show that you had a very open mind when reading the article, and I think that's a great thing especially in this class. I agree with the words you used to describe them, neglecting happened to be one of my descriptive words as well so I understand where you're views came from when using that word.
ReplyDelete